Sunday 17 June 2012

Liquid Soap & Some Studio Details...

I have been experimenting lately with liquid soap… and really enjoying myself!

The first liquid soap was a hand (or body) soap, scented with orange and grapefruit essential oils and it leaves my hands nice and soft, though it doesn’t get the same suds I love in my bar soaps.
First liquid soap

The one on the left has Essential Oils, the one on the right doesn't. I am sure I will learn all about the right moment to add the Essential Oils to keep cloudiness down.

The second one was a shampoo.  Not bad!  It has crazy suds and as I wanted a herbal scent reminiscent of this area… I added Rosemary, Lavender and Spearmint (plants which all grow wild here) essential oils.  Although liquid, it performs much the same as my solid shampoo bars.  Difficult to get a brush through my hair, better with the vinegar rinse but lovely when my hair dries.  Great on my scalp too!  When I make another shampoo, I think I may decrease cleansing a little and increase conditioning…
Shampoo

They are both really LIQUID though.  What was I expecting?  A nice thick gel?  It will probably take a lot more experimenting before getting the exact consistency and performance that I want.
For now, experimenting will be mostly coming to a halt until after the summer.  I am moving into the high season when this area is full of tourists.  I am doing the night markets again this year so will be busy at the markets 7 nights a week, then producing during the mornings!
Some shelves that the carpenter made for the shop! We were going to paint them white, but the natural wood is so nice that we are not sure now...


I have really been enjoying contracting local talent to make things for the studio and shop. It would be so easy and quick to just get the place entirely kitted out at IKEA... but it wouldn't feel the same.  I love hand-made and I want to support local artisans.

A bowl made by the same ceramisit who made the studio sign. He is also making some original soap dishes and shaving mugs for me...

A stained-glass candle dish made by a wonderful local stained-glass artisan.


One of her mirrors as well.  She is making another mirror for me, bigger and in different shades of green, to go above the bathroom sink here at the studio.  Yes that's me taking the shot!!  I kind of liked this self portrait...

Hope you are all well, enjoying beautiful summer weather and happily soaping!!!
Xo
Jen

16 comments:

Larissa said...

Congrats on the liquids! We tried once a long time ago, and it was pretty much a failure at the time. I plan to try again at some point, but time is so limited! Good for you getting success.

Silvia en el bosque said...

The glass candle dish is great, i love your local stained-glass artisan!!

Ambra said...

Liquid soap! I have been planning to try that, but 25 kg of KOH... well I just might be crazy enough one of these day. It looks fantastic :) - liquid gold.

Donna OShaughnessy said...

Yes, leaving the wood shelves as they are looks wonderful and those stained glass items ? Fabulous. Wish your shop was here in the states but then Spain would be out of luck and that wouldn't be fair. Love your commitment to using local artisans Jen. You're good neighbor

Jennifer Young said...

Larissa, Thank you for your comment. Liquid soap is a whole other adventure... not easy but exciting. My first liquid soaps were far from perfect... super liquidy... but I will get there! xo Jen

Silvia, Gracia por tu comentario! Me alegro que te haya gustado el vidrio de colores (no se como se dice Stained Glass en Español?)!! xoxo Jen

Ambra, I purchased a small quantity of KoH from The Soap Kitchen... no need to get 25 kilos! Hope you post about your liquid soap adventures if you get some!! Thanks for commenting! xo Jen

Donna, Your comments are more than just comical... this one is heart-warming. Thank you so much soap-friend. xo Jen

Tara said...

Love the liquid soaps, Jenn! I have been experimenting with them as well. I have only done one batch so far since it is time-consuming. Successful in that it was a good soap but I need to work on the cloudiness. The studio looks great. I admire your ability to do night markets 7 nights a week.

Pam said...

Oh the shop is coming right along Jen! Congrats! So nice that you are supporting your local artists as well. Hey you are handling that new camera really well!

Soapchick said...

Wow Jen you new shop is looking so lovely, I am really envious and I know Shelley would be too, if only we could do the same thing in Portugal - Heaven. I love the idea of liquid soaps its not something I have ventured into yet, my shampoo bars are coming out lovely so Im not sure I need to right now. Good luck and keep posting shop pics!! XX

Two Blooms Design Studio said...

Looking gorgeous, it's making me want to come visit Spain and see your new shop. Maybe one day it will happen. I love that you are using local talent and I love that tealight/candle stain glass holder. It must be so pretty with a candle inside of it. Does he/she have a website?

Michelle

Jennifer Young said...

Tara, Thanks for commenting! So excited for you that you are into liquid soaps lately as well. Time consuming? Yes. Fun? Yes. Challenging? Yes. Can't wait until you post about it! Night markets 7 nights a well - we will see how I hold up!! xo Jen

Pam, so glad that you like the look of the shop. Thanks so much for your comment about my new camera! The truth is, I am simply using the AUTO mode for now and it is AWESOME!! So much to learn and experiment with. xo Jen

Soapchick, Thanks for commenting! You are welcome to visit any time! Hope Puro Soaps is going well!!! I love your logo. Also hope you post about it if you venture into the world of liquid soap making! Your shampoo bars have been turning out well? Now I am envious! I have decided not to sell mine for now as they perform so differently from person to person, country to country.... they are just for personal use for now. Any tips for shampoo bars? xo Jen

Michelle, Thanks for your comment! You would be welcome here ANY TIME. We could make soap together! The stained glass artist makes some amazing things and when we are at a fair together, she brings he kit and sits there soldering and cutting and making right there! It is beautiful to watch. Don't think she has a website, but when I speak to her, I will check. xoxoxo Jen

Tom Sawyer said...

hi, I came across your blog about three days ago and have pretty much spent the last three days reading it! went all the way back to the first post and worked my way to this one...needless to say I loved it! your soap is lovely, I would love to at some point make only 100% natural soap. Your posts are inspirational and funny and selfless - thank you.

Wishing you all the best!

Marija

Jennifer Young said...

Marija, So nice to hear from you. Loved your comment. Inspirational? Nice to hear i may have inspired someone somehow... Funny? I don't really try to be funny but glad to make someone laugh! Selfless? My main motive for this blog is connecting with people with similar interests. I get annoyed and bored with blogs that are so clearly aimed at promoting themselves or selling. I simply want to connect and exchange! So, i am glad that came through!! Going to check out your blog now... Thank you!! xo Jen

Bianca said...

JENNNNNNNNNY not seen you in ages………got to meet up , I won't be at the market again as on my own for a couple of weeks and still ploughing through orders (Yippeeeee….but boy I need a break coffee and croissant time soon I think???) Remember if you want anyone to test the liquid soap I use it all the time at home, and Fin and David.
NOW here is me being ME!!!!! The shelves do look nice natural….but think ahead 2 or 3 months with our dusty wind…….wiping dust off bare wood……disaster if it gets wet….nice wood becomes dirty wood easy, you need to seal them with something, doesn't have to be glossy varnish or paint. A wax rubbed in now before they get dusty will save them and buffed properly isn't shiny…I love the look of lime wax. that slight white hint with the grain showing through. I agree don't paint them now, you can always do that later if needs be. There speech done. See ya soon Bx

Jennifer Young said...

Bianca, Thanks for your comment!! Glad to hear you are busy busy busy. Oscar is treating all the new wood with a stain (no colour) for bugs and stuff but thank you so much for the suggestion, we may "wax" it as well? Lime wax? Where do we get it. Going to Vera to run errands on Friday morning. Up for a coffee and croissant? Accross from the Post Office? let me know! xo Jen

Bianca said...

Will let you know later not sure if my painting class is running tomorrow yet

Jennifer Young said...

Bianca, Saturday morning? I have to go to the post office... let me know! Xo Jen