I suppose we are all looking for ways to get our Essential Oils scents to stick in soaps... I have found some oils are better than others. Some don't hang around long... I would love to gather ideas from other soapers!
Some of my findings so far:
- Lemon Essential Oil is quite difficult to get to stay in soap - so a combination of similar smelling Essential Oils works pretty well for me - for example - lemon, lemongrass, may chang/litsea cubeba. Maybe Melissa as well? I have not tried Melissa
- I have found Lavender to be fleeting as well, would love ideas on keeping a strong lavender Essential Oil scent in soap
- Patchouli has been the best Essential Oil in soap for me so far. The scent sticks, lasts and even lasts on my skin
- Geranium has helped anchor Orange Essential Oil for me somewhat but Orange remains to be rather fleeting
I have heard the following suggestions but have not fully tested them yet...
- Cornstarch is said to help keep citrus Essential Oils in soaps. I have done 1 experiment with it so far and haven't really noticed much other than the odour is rather odd. I think I used too much
- My blog friend at Between Friends said that she freezes soaps, then lets them cure for longer (months) and the Essential Oil scents really stay!
- some Essential Oils anchor others
- I have been recommended 10 fold Orange Essential Oil but have yet to find it here in Europe, so I am currently using 5-fold
Can we pool our ideas? Anyone wish to contribute any tips on getting Essential Oil scents stronger and to stick in soaps?
Look forward to your ideas!